Constitution and By-Laws
· This Association incorporated in the year 1995, in the State of New Jersey, shall be known as the Southern New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association.
· The objects of this Association shall be to:
1. Promote the Knowledge of Veterinary Science and to afford the opportunity of an exchange of ideas.
2. Provide regional representation of its membership.
3. Promote a cordial and cooperative relationship among its members.
4. Sponsor a regular educational program for its membership and guests.
5. Cooperate with the allied professional and scientific organizations.
6. Promote animal health and public welfare.
· It shall forever remain a non-profit organization.
· There shall be three classes of membership.
· The officers of this Association shall be:
o Nominations of Officers for the ensuing year shall be made by a Nomination Committee appointed by the President and from the floor at a meeting specified by the President.
1. Any member in good standing may be eligible to be nominated and to vote.
2. Election is to take place at the first meeting of the calendar year.
3. The new officers will be inducted at the NJVMA annual spring meeting.
4. Election shall be made by ballot.
5. The terms of office shall be:
a. President: 2 years
b. Vice-President: 2years
c. Secretary: 2 years
d. Treasurer: 2 years
e. May be re-elected for 1 successive term.
6. At the end of each officer’s term, he or she shall immediately transfer to his or her successor the monies, books and all other property belonging to the Association in his possession.
7. The President may fill any vacancy of office which occurs by death, resignation, or otherwise, by appointment for the remainder of an unexpired term.
8. Should the office of the President be vacated, the Vice-President will fill the office of the President.
· There shall be a minimum of four (4) meetings a year at a time and place designated by the President.
· All members shall be notified as to the time, date, and place of the meeting by at least ten (10) days in advance.
Amendments To The Constitution
· The constitution and by-laws may be amended by an affirmative vote of not less than three-quarters (3/4) of the active and emeritus members present at a regular business or special meeting, provided that the changes have been read and proposed at a meeting at least one month prior to the vote.
· Twenty-five (25) percent of the active and emeritus membership shall form a quorum at any meeting of the Association at which business is transacted.
Southern New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association
Order of Business
· Call to order
· Scientific program
· Introduction of guests
· Reading of minutes
· Committee reports
· Old business
· New business
· Election of Officers
· Good and Welfare
Duties of Officers
1. Shall preside at all meetings.
2. Shall appoint all standing committees and all special committees as the need arises.
3. Together with the Treasurer, he shall have the authority to approve the payment of any bills that may be rendered to this Association.
4. May call special meetings
1. Shall perform the duties of the President in his absence.
2. Shall act as Chairman of the Program Committee.
1. Shall keep the minutes of all meetings.
2. Shall be in charge of all official correspondence and keep copies of all letters sent and received.
3. Shall keep a roll of all members and their addresses.
4. Shall distribute, receive and make a record of all applications for membership.
5. Shall be custodian of all records, documents, and properties other than those maintained by the Treasurer.
6. Shall notify all members of the date, time, and place of meetings by mail at least ten (10) days in advance.
7. Shall take attendance at all meetings.
1. Shall keep accurate accounts in a permanent ledger of all receipts and disbursements.
2. Shall collect and receive all monies due or received by the Association.
3. Shall mail bills to all members for dues and any other charge authorized by the Association.
4. Shall maintain a bank account in the name of the Association to deposit all monies belonging to the Association.
5. Accounts maintained by the Treasurer may be checking, savings, or any other investiture the Association elects to have.
6. Shall give a report at all the Association’s regular meetings.
7. All checks must be authorized by either the Treasurer and/or the President.
8. Shall keep a membership roll of all members and their addresses [this is redundant to Secretary, # 3 – could update to say “in conjunction with the other officer position”]
9. A copy of the financial statement submitted by the Treasurer to the New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association shall also be submitted to the membership of the Southern New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association.
1. Shall be veterinarians that are either legally licensed and registered to practice veterinary medicine in the State of New Jersey or graduates of a veterinary institution recognized by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
2. Be of good moral and professional character, standing and reputation.
3. Must be a guest of least 1 regular meeting and make application for membership to the Secretary.
4. Must be current in his or her dues, unless excused by the Executive Committee.
1. Shall be selected from the active membership who has been active in the Association for twenty (20) years or more and shall be retired from active practice.
2. They shall enjoy all the privileges of active membership including the right to vote, and attending meetings.
3. Candidates for the class shall be proposed in writing by three (3) or more members of the Association. Election requires an affirmative vote of three-quarters (3/4) of the members present and voting.
1. Honorary membership may be conferred upon any citizen of the world who shall have rendered eminent and distinguished service to Veterinary Science.
2. They shall have all the privileges of active members except that they shall not hold office, vote, or have any right or title to, or interest in any real or personal property of the Association.
3. They shall be exempt from dues, assessments, and attendance.
4. They shall be proposed in writing by three (3) members of the Association and election shall require three quarters (3/4) affirmative of all members present and voting.
Termination of Membership
· Any member shall cease to be a member:
1. Who shall be adjudged by our Association to have seriously violated the Code of Ethics of the American Veterinary Medical Association and/or the New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association.
2. Who shall be convicted in a court of a felony or other crime evincing moral turpitude.
3. Who shall have his license to practice Veterinary Medicine suspended or annulled by final action of any court or other authority of competent jurisdiction.
4. Any member shall cease to be a member who has not been current in his or her dues, unless excused by the Executive Committee.
· The existence of any facts upon which membership shall be terminated shall be determined by the Committee on Ethics of the Southern New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association and passed by an affirmative three-quarters (3/4) vote of members present and voting.
· Membership may also be terminated by resignation.
· Reinstatement of terminated memberships shall be by application.
1. Shall be determined by the membership.
2. Shall be payable each year upon presentation from the Treasurer.
3. There shall be no initiation fee.
· Members in Arrears
1. Any active member who shall not have paid his current dues on or before the last regular meeting in any year, upon notification, shall cease to be a member of this Association after the last meeting of the year. With approval of officers, he may be reinstated to membership upon payment of his arrears plus current dues.
· Small Animal Shows
1. All income derived from small animal shows serviced by members, at the request of the Southern New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association, reverts to the Treasurer of this Association.
Affiliation with NJVMA
· This Association shall be officially affiliated with the New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association as one of its constituent organizations.
· Upon request, the President shall submit the name of a member for election as a representative to the Executive Committee of the NJVMA. The selected member shall function as the official delegates to this Association to the State Association and shall be responsible to report regularly to the membership. Where the occasion may arise, the delegate may request instructions from this Association or given instructions at the discretion of the membership.
· Standing Committees
6. All other committees are appointed as necessary by the President.
1. The Executive Committee shall consist of the current Officers, the immediate Past President, and the representative to the New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association.
Revised October 17, 1992